History Of Matri Bhavan

Origin : Inspired by Swami Vivekananda’s ideal of service, the Late Ramprasad Roy offered to the Ramakrishna Mission in 1950, his residential home at 7A, Sree Mohan Lane, Calcutta – 26 along with a plot of land at 26 and with some funds to undertake a scheme of Maternity and Child Welfare. He desired that the Hospital should be set up  in his residence.

A well-known obstetrician Dr.Nripendra Kumar Guha of Dacca came forward to render his voluntary services to this proposed new Maternity Hospital. A group of dedicated ladies, two of whom were fully trained in Maternity, were guided by the Trustees of the Ramakrishna Mission, Belur, Calcutta to render their services here.

Dedication : On the 13th October 1950, His Holiness Swami Visuddhananda, the then Vice-President, Ramakrishna Math & Mission, performed the ‘Dedication Ceremony and was named as Ramakrishna Mission Matri Bhavan.

 


Rev.Swami  Visuddhananda
Dedication : On the 13th October 1950, His Holiness Swami Visuddhananda,
the then Vice-President, Ramakrishna Math & Mission,
performed the ‘Dedication Ceremony and was named as
Ramakrishna Mission Matri Bhavan.
The Hospital Started with 10 indoor beds , 5 of which were  free and Antenatal-Clinic & Post-Natal Clinics. Thus began the silent, untiring and life-long services of dedicates workers with the twin motto of Swami Vivekananda, “Atmano Mokshartham Jagath Hitayacha ” “For the Good of the Self and the Welfare of the World”

Rev. Swami Jnatmananda

Swami Jnanatmananda of Belur Math was appointed  as the Secretary of  the Institution in August 1950.
 

From 1952 a regular Managing Committee was formed by the Governing Body of the Ramakrishna Mission with Swami Atmaprakashananda as the Secretary. Under his able guidance , the Infant Institution was gradually stabilised.  In January 1952, 6 more beds were added making the total beds 16

Rev.Swami Atmaprakashananda

Rev.Pravrajika Bhaktiprana

From 1955, Brahmacharini Kalyani ( later Pravrajika Bhaktiprana of Sri Sarada Math, Dakshineswar ) who had already been in the Institution from its start , as one of the dedicated workers, was appointed Secretary of the  Institution bythe Governing body of the Ramakrishna Mission , Belur,  Since then she had been shouldering the responsibility till 2009
In 1955  Doctors Quarters was constructed  & Dedication Ceremony – By Swami Vishuddhanandaji,on 3rd June 1955, the then Vice  President, Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission,Belur.

Rev.Swami Vishuddhananda

1958 – ” Western Wing was constructed – Dedication Ceremony ” – By His Holiness Swami Vishuddhanandaji Maharaj on 8th Feb. 1958. On the 23rd Feb. 1958, Dr. B.C. Roy, Minister of Health West Bengal.Performed the public opening Ceremony and Rev. Swami Madhavanandaji Maharaj,the then General Secretary,Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission,graced the occasion.
1961-Transferred to – Ramakrishna Sarada Mission,Dakshineswar & Hospital was renamed as Ramakrishna Sarada Mission Matri Bhavan.
Eastern Block-1961- Foundation stone laid on 26th January, 1961 by His Holiness Most Rev.Swami Madhavanandaji Maharaj,the then General Secretary,Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission,Belur.

Eastern Block-1962- Dedication Ceremony performed by His Holiness Most Rev. Swami Madhavananda Maharaj,the then General Secretary,Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission,on the 10th May 1962.

Eastern Block-1962- Dr.B.C.Roy, Chief Minister,West Bengal performed the public opening ceremony on 24th May 1962.
Her Holiness Pravrajika Bharatiprana , the First president of  Sri Sarada Math & Ramakrishna Sarada Mission, Dakshineswar , laid the foundation stone for Nursing Quarters & Baby Clinic on the 14th June, 1963 and when completed , performed the dedication ceremony on the 13th August 1964.
1965- Two storied Monastic Quarters constructed. On 4th May 1965 foundation stone was laid by Her Holiness Most Rev.Pravrajika Bharatiprana Mataji, performed the dedication ceremony on 2nd May 1966.

Rev.Pravrajika Bharatiprana Mataji

Rev.Pravrajika Mokshaprana Mataji

1972- Class IV Staff Quarters construction done.Foundation Stone was laid by Her Holiness Most Rev Pravrajika Bharatiprana Mataji,the first President Ramakrishna Sarada Math and Ramakrishna Sarada Mission Dakshineswar,and was formally opened by Pravrajika Mokshaprana Mataji,the then Vice- President of Ramakrishna Sarada Math and Ramakrishna Sarada Mission Dakshineswar.
1972-A Small Operation Theatre was made by converting one of existing rooms.

1975-Well Equipped Operation Theatre started in 1975. Dedication Ceremony by His Holiness Most Rev.Swami Vireswaranandaji Maharaj,the then President of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission,Belur.

1975- On 4th September 1975,Sri.Ajit Kumar Panja,Health Minister,Govt. of West Bengal,inaugurated this new Operation Theatre.
1981- Sevika Training -” To help poor and needy girls,Red Cross Training(Red cross indigenous Midwifery Trainining) – 15 girls(Sponsored by Matri Bhavan)
Page is under construction
Page is under construction—————— ———————–